Alco-Screen® Product Training
The information provided is intended to instruct test administrators in the use of the Alco-Screen® Saliva Alcohol Test. Please review the following information carefully. A multiple-choice test will be administered once the following information has been reviewed.
ALCO-SCREEN® is a semi-quantitative screening test used to estimate the Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) using human saliva. The test strip estimates BAC at the 0.00%, 0.02%, 0.04%, 0.08% and 0.3% levels. Results are used in the diagnosis of alcohol use or intoxication.
For in vitro diagnostic use.
The ALCO-SCREEN® consists of a plastic strip with a test pad attached at the tip. The test pad is treated to react with alcohol in saliva and will change to shades of green-gray to blue depending on the presence of and amount of alcohol detected.
The test pad contains tetramethylbenzidine, alcohol oxidase (EC 184.108.40.206), peroxidase (EC 220.127.116.11) and other non-active ingredients.
- For in vitro diagnostic use.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Do not use past the expiration date printed on the foil package.
- Do not use if the package is unsealed or damaged.
- Do not open test package until ready to use.
- Before testing saliva sample compare the color of the unused test strip to the negative (0.0%) color block. If the unused test strip is darker than the negative color block, this may indicate that the device has deteriorated during storage and should not be used.
- Read the test under incandescent, fluorescent, or indirect sunlight.
- Do not read the test under mercury or sodium vapor light.
- This test should not be interpreted by persons who are color-blind or are visually impaired.
- The test pad is very sensitive to alcohol and will react if there are alcohol vapors present in the air. Perform the test in an area free of alcohol vapors.
- Do not re-use the test.
- Dispose of properly.
- The test only provides an estimate of the Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC). It should not be used as a tool to determine if it is safe for the user to operate machinery or a motor vehicle.
- Results from this test may not be used for legal proceedings.
STORAGE AND HANDLING
- Do not store at temperature above 80ºF (27ºC) or below 50ºF (10ºC).
- Do not freeze.
- Twenty-four (24) individually packaged tests per box
- One ALCO-SCREEN® test strip per foil package
- One instruction sheet
Materials Needed But Not Included:
- Clean Collection Cup: Solo® Cup P100 (1oz.)
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Before you begin
- DO NOT place anything into mouth for 15 minutes before testing.
- Remove test package from the box and let it reach room temperature.
- Open package immediately before testing.
- Inspect the test pad. The test pad should be a cream color. If the test pad is tan or otherwise discolored, do not use the test.
- Wet test pad with saliva for 5 seconds then remove. Start the timer immediately.
- At 2 minutes compare color of test pad to the color chart on the test package.
- Estimate the BAC by reading the number printed below the color block that best matches the color of the test pad.
Note: Results read after 2 minutes, 30 seconds may not be accurate.
Negative: The test pad shows no color change and matches the Negative color block on the foil package.
Positive: The test pad shows a color change from light green-gray color at 0.02% BAC to a dark blue-gray color near 0.30% BAC.
Proper performance of ALCO-SCREEN® can be confirmed by testing a mixture of 4 drops of 80 proof distilled spirits in 8 oz. (1 cup) of water. The result should be equal to or higher (darker) than the 0.04% color block. Commercially available controls that contain preservatives cannot be used with the ALCO-SCREEN®.
- Confirm positive results using an acceptable evidentiary alcohol test.
- Do not use the test to determine one’s ability to legally operate a motor vehicle or other heavy equipment. Any decisions based on the results of this test are the sole responsibility of the user.
- Alcohol impairs judgment. Someone sober should perform the test.
- You must wait 15 minutes after placing food, drink, or other materials in your mouth before running the test.
- The effects of blood in the mouth on test performance were not evaluated. If there is visible blood in the mouth or sores, this test should not be conducted.
ALCO-SCREEN® will react with methyl, ethyl, and other short-chain alcohols. The following substances may interfere with the ALCO-SCREEN® if present above the listed concentrations.
1-Butanol (Butyl Alcohol)
Concentration (% v/v)